Thursday, March 6, 2014

Balogun hopes to make World Cup squad

Leon Balogun
Leon Balogun has expressed his desire to represent Nigeria at the 2014 Fifa World Cup in Brazil.
The Fortuna Dusseldorf defender was born in Germany to a Nigerian father and German mother. He was called up by coach Stephen Keshi as a late minute replacement for captain Joseph Yobo, who picked an injury during a game for Norwich City. He stated that he was happy when he got the call-up for the Mexico friendly.
“I had a phone conversation last month with the Big Boss, who asked me how I was and if I was fit and willing to play for Nigeria. I managed not to scream yes, only saying yes quietly,” Balogun told Supersport.com.
“He told me that if some players drop out from his initial list for the Mexico match, he will call me. So last week, I got my letter of invitation and ticket and joining requirements for the team.”
Balogun also stated he will be delighted if he gets the chance to play for the Super Eagles while hoping his worth will fetch him a World Cup shirt.
“I know there are players there who have been in the squad longer than me, however, I believe in my ability, I will give my best in training and if I get the chance to play, I will show my worth.
“If I make the World Cup squad, it will be the best thing ever to happen to me because I have always felt Nigerian especially because of my grandma, who tried to teach me Yoruba over the phone when I was a kid,” he added.

No comments:

Post a Comment