Wednesday, August 15, 2012

PhD student gets his 3ft-long ginger locks cut for the first time in a decade... and puts hair on sale for £600

  • Timothy Price decided to get the chop as he prepares for a series of interviews for a job as a lecturer
A PhD student who didn’t have a haircut for 10 years has finally taken the chop - and has placed his 36-inch ginger locks on the market for £600.
Timothy Price, 29, who studies theology and divinity at the University of Aberdeen last visited the barber in January 2002.
Now he has decided to change his hairstyle as he prepares for a series of interviews for a job as a lecturer.
Timothy Price before his haircut
Timothy Price with his 36 inches of hair that is available to buy on Gumtree
Hair we go: Timothy Price models his long ginger locks (left) and shows the remarkable transformation following his first hair cut in a decade (right)
When his hair was all gone, Timothy pledged to put the remains to good use and has placed an advertisement on Gumtree appealing for anyone looking for a wig.
 
The dad-of-two said: 'I started growing my hair in university, which is pretty normal and then I got used to it and I enjoyed the change of hairstyle.
'I thought I would smarten up for any job interviews I may have. I thought it would be a fresh start.
'I wasn’t nervous when I got it cut, I was just ready for a change and wanted something different.
'I have had great use of my hair so I am sure it could be of great use to someone else rather than me now.
'I know a lot of people who could maybe be able to benefit from the hair.'
But Joy, 25, his wife of four years, had never seen her husband without his wavy auburn hair and she admitted that it was a shock to see the locks go.
For sale: Mr Price hopes to sell his locks for £600 and has placed an advertisement on Gumtree appealing for anyone looking for a wig
For sale: Mr Price hopes to sell his locks for £600 and has placed an advertisement on Gumtree appealing for anyone looking for a wig
Lock chop: Mr Price, who studies theology and divinity at the University of Aberdeen decided to change his hairstyle as he prepares for a series of interviews for a job as a lecturer
Lock chop: Mr Price, who studies theology and divinity at the University of Aberdeen decided to change his hairstyle as he prepares for a series of interviews for a job as a lecturer
The philosophy student said: 'We took both of our kids to the hairdressers and watched him get the hair cut off.
'It was quite a shock to see him without his long hair, but I actually think the short crop suits him really well.
'I liked his hair when I first met him, but I didn’t start liking him just because of it. His personality and other looks is why I fell in love with him.'
Timothy added: 'Joy hadn’t seen me without long hair so she was pretty nervous to see what I would like when I got it cut.'
Although the bundle of hair is a few inches wide and weighs about 100 grams (3.5oz) Timothy said maintaining it only took up a small part of his day.
He said: 'I normally spent just 20 minutes getting all the tangles out of it and I would brush it and then I would let it dry naturally.'
And Timothy says despite his new look, he could still be tempted to grow his hair back to a longer length.
'Maybe one day, I would be tempted to grow it back in the future, I did enjoy having such long hair.'
Joy said that although over 100 people had looked at the Gumtree advertisement since it went up on Monday, they have yet to receive an offer.
Take plat: Mr Price had to go to extreme lengths to control his hair
Take plat: Mr Price had to go to extreme lengths to control his hair

No comments:

Post a Comment